Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sermon Prep 07.09.06

Phi 1:3-8 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.

The sermon this week is entitled “Transforming Fellowship.” We complete our three week study of Paul’s thanksgiving to the Philippians (vv3-8). What we have been sensing in verses 3-6, Paul’s love and affection for this church, overflows in unfeigned devotion in verses 7-8. This is the brilliance of Paul; a man who is an unparalleled genius and simultaneously a passionate lover of Christ and his people. Out of his theological assertion of the divine sovereignty of God in salvation and the eternal security of the believer found in verse 6 pours unfettered and undignified emotion and adoration: “It is right for me to feel this way,” “I hold you in my heart,” “God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the bowels of Christ Jesus” (See KJV). His knowledge of doctrine sanctifies his heart. Oh, how we have much to learn from this man used by God.

We also are invited to understand why there is such affection between this church and Paul. It is their common fellowship in the gospel that unites them (v7). This passage will testify how fellowshipping in the proclamation of the gospel will unite us like nothing else, which will in turn give evidence to the truth of the gospel we are working to proclaim (see John 17:20-23). In coming days, take time to ponder how you fellowship with your fellow saints in the gospel. Also be sure to meditate on this passage that God may exalt the affection between this missionary and this church in Philippi as a goal for us at DBBC. I long to worship with you this Lord's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home